I spent part of today fulfilling a few promises to folks by posting about some of my favorite period books for Victorian reenactment. (There might be another post later if I dig up the ones on Renaissance stuff in the coming year.) But then after much procrastination, I realized I needed to tackle the Dreaded Sewing Nook.
You see, it's been through a lot. The failed Titanic experiment, the Kentwell sprint, a huge pile of mending, then the 1940s dress, the partially-deconstructed cycling trousers, and a bunch of other stuff. Technically, none of it is completed, right down to the fitted English gown that's been draped over my dressform since I got back from England. I even got *most* of the way done with my 1940s dress, and then stopped. There are a bunch of unfinished partlets that are mostly even wearable. And a 1799/1801 transitional stay that I never finished.
Why? At some point I stopped feeling like I looked good in all of this stuff. (But that's a post for another day, and probably the other blog, in all reality.) But honestly, while I'm making a resolution to become a content producer (unlike the previous year spent mostly in consumption-mode) I also need to get over myself and Just Get On With It. No (wearable) project I've ever done has turned out exactly the way I wanted it on the first go-round, and whether that's poor fitting, or procrastination-related size change, or unexpected fabric complications, it's irrelevant. I just need to push through some of this, and get it done, and get it put away.
So tonight, I moved some things around, and took down the English gown, and started where I left off: stitching the black linen lining in. Next up: hemming the sleeves, hemming the skirting. Maybe putting on guards. Then figuring out a fastening.
And then I can move on.